Tuesday, January 11, 2011

January 5th - New Strength Training Workout

I met with my my trainer Aaron today to get my plan for the next two weeks and begin a new strength training regimen. We talked about the 5K and he said he was confident with my time that Boston is within reach (at least by the Portland Marathon).

He went through my food log briefly and he's still holding his tongue about my meal choices, but I do know that if I want to get down in the 10-12% body fat range, I'll have to cut out the beer and only allow one cheat day per week. I currently have Saturday's as an "eat whatever I want" day and that usually sneaks into Friday night and sometimes Sunday if there's something special going on. Stay tuned for some diet changes in the next few weeks...very interesting stuff, be assured!

After our pleasant chat, he promptly decided to destroy me. Everything Aaron has been giving me is circuit training. For those of you who don't know what this is, circuit training is multiple exercises performed back-to-back-to-back without any rest between sets. There's a 30 second rest after each set of 3 exercises, then back at it. I do four sets of each of the following:

One-Legged Box Squats - 10 each leg
Wide Grip Push-up into Regular Grip Push-up into Diamond Push-up - 5 each (15 total)
Lateral Run on Step (3 risers) - 30 seconds

30 seconds rest and then into 4 sets of:

Single Leg Box Hops - 8 each leg
Bicep Curl to press - 15 reps
8-point Burpees - 10 reps (There's no video of this because it's insane)

30 seconds rest and then into 4 sets of core:

Sprinters' Crunch - 10 each side
Leg Lifts - 10 reps
Front Plank - 45 seconds

You should see how crazy I look doing the 8-point burpees at the gym. One thing I've learned about the gym is that everyone goes into the gym to work-out, but you don't want to be caught working too hard, because then you're a sweaty mess. It's kind of funny, at 24 hour fitness I see people with hair product in and looking more put together for a work-out session than I look on any day of the week period. The 8-point burbee goes like this:

Standing position
Touch hands to ground
Kick feet out to push-up position
Kick feet outward into a Y
Kick feet back into push-up position
Do a push-up
Pull feet back in towards hands
Jump as high as you can

When I'm done with 10 of these bad-boys, any thought of looking anything remotely close to human has left my mind as I'm just hoping I can start breathing oxygen again sometime soon.

So, I'm an idiot and I did all of this, then had a basketball double-header. Needless to say, I sucked. I think in both games I had a total of 5 for 30 for 10 points.

Current Weight: 166.2
Current Body Fat Percentage: 19%
Best Mile Time: 6:18
Best 5K Time: 20:43 (6:38 pace)
Best 5 Mile Time: 34:58 (6:59 pace)
Best 10 Mile Time:
Best Half-Marathon Time:
Best Marathon Time:

Goal Weight: 154
Goal Body Fat Percentage: 12%
Goal Mile Time: 5:30
Goal 5K Time: 19:30 (6:17 pace)
Goal 5 Mile Time: 32:15 (6:27 pace)
Goal 10 Mile Time: 1 hr 7 min (6:49 pace)
Goal Half-Marathon Time: 1 hr 29 min (6:49 pace)
Goal Marathon Time: 3 hrs 8 min (7:10 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment